Switching car insurance is easy if you….
Switching car insurance is easier than you think if you follow just 1 important rule…
Find a trusted, independent agent who will do it for you! Using the right agent will make the difference, here is why.
- The Shopping – Don’t have time to check rates with different carriers to get the lowest rate? No problem, an independent agent will represent many different companies. Using computer software called a comparative rater, they have the ability to check rates with many different carriers.
- The Discounts – Not sure if you are getting all the discounts your qualify for? Trust your agent to ask the right questions to find the discounts available to you. Things like education, occupation and how long you have owned your car may not make sense to you, but each has an associated discount.
- The Timing – Have an accident that will be 4 years old? How about that careless driving ticket you got 6 months ago? Did you just have an accident? An experienced agent will know if it is in your best interests to change companies now or wait. If you just had an at fault accident, unless you are saving a LOT of money, it may not be the best time to change companies. Each situation is different and a good agent will take the time to explain the pros & cons of changing companies now or waiting for a more optimal time.
- The Coverage – This is NOT something people should do themselves. There is a reason agents have to be licensed. You may be a professional doctor, lawyer, plumber, etc., but you are not an insurance professional. You would not try to be your own doctor, lawyer or plumber would you? Hire a professional insurance agent. The good ones may represent many different companies, but they work for you.
- The Cancellation – So, you found the trusted agent, they reviewed your coverage, shopped the rates and signed you up. Make sure they take this important last step, cancel your current coverage for you. That will ensure there are no gaps in coverage, no miscommunications and will wrap up any loose ends.